Ciao aimici,
awe·some /ˈɔ
səm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciati[aw-suh m]
–adjective
- inspiring awe: an awesome sight.
- showing or characterized by sight.
- Slang. very impressive: That new white convertible is totally awesome.
We followed the circus maximus through and across a twentybazillion lane wide street and up against palatine hill and arrived at the coliseum (obviously firefox's spell checker doesn't like the ancient way of spelling "colosseum" ...and, note to myself, that was a really nerdy statement). It was funny that somehow I missed the fact that this colossal monument was in front of us until we were about a quarter of the way past.
"Oh wow, we're at the colosseum, huh?" I stupidly ejaculated.
In response, Keihly rudely interjected: "uhmmm, yes, how did you miss that??"
Guess I deserved that. Anyway, I commented how the colosseum has a cross engraved in a marble panel that was obviously attached to the structure far after it was originally constructed. Isn't it interesting how many, many of these ancient structures/monuments were intruded/taken over and sacred-ized. (gee, I think by now everyone reading this thinks I have an elementary education based on my obvious observations and stupid vocabulary. I like trying to sound smart. Give me a break.)
Alright! so -- we walked like seven miles to get to this metro stop, which I secretly suspect there was an easier way to get to, but I wasn't going to doubt our route because Keihly, being a girl, was sooooo proud of herself because she actually found directions to get to this crazy in the middle of nowhere place. I wasn't going to take away from her pride, even after she tried to make us walk in the wrong direction... like three times. No, maybe twice. Or four times? This is all really besides the point. We walked far to get to this metro stop. It was a really nice metro stop. It was at .... uhmmm... Menzoni...mezoni ... mezonlili... Nanzoni. Nancy. K. we got onto the train, got off, and started to walk toward something I was stunned by. Off in the distance was this obvious chunk of ancient aqueduct with three or four arch/bays in silhouette.(and, that last paragraph will be the only one that funny) We approached the ruins and guessed its access as we turned down a road (where, interestingly, people were getting trained on motorcycles. Luckily, no one was hurt). Through a short arcade of another aqueduct, we arrived to a vast green space with various segments of what was once the brilliant, extravagant, monumental technology which supplied water to ... somewhere (that sentence bombed). I couldn't help but experience the pride and the challenge that was put before the builders and what planning and precision was required in the planning of this infrastructure. Brilliant.
We continued walking through the beaten paths and avoided three dogs, about seven joggers, and one elderly man on a vespa. I guess you can take those things anywhere? Even on historical/reserve land. After passing a flock of sheep (not really a metaphor for anything, we actually saw a ton of sheep) we discovered a longer, more in-tact stretch of the aqueduct. This area was even more stunning, as the termination of the aqueduct seemed to intersect a light of top-heavy african-esque trees (see the pictures, you will agree).
I must admit, "When in Rome" has come up a few times, not really in appropriate manners, but this, I think, is a situation where I can honestly apply it. When in Rome, you can drive vespas on dirt paths through ancient aqueduct ruins, AND, beside these ancient ruins, what more deserving thing could be placed other than a golf course. Brilliant! I'll keep adding to this list of When in Rome's as I see fit.
(When in Rome, you can walk into oncoming traffic and the traffic magically stops, rather than just hitting you)Keihly and I sat on top of some ruined brick at the base of one of the arches. The sun was beaming at us and the temperature was about 60 degrees (warmer than negative one degree at home! Take that, Iowa!). It was nice to see many people out jogging, riding their bike, and walking there dog. Many families were entertaining their kids with an afternoon stroll against a two thousand year old stone arcade. Everywhere I looked just felt so picturesque - like a painting that was perfectly orchestrated, carefully thought-out, and every aesthetic detail perfectly pronounced. The site was so beautiful. How can you top that? How about mountains in the distance?
I sat on a mount, coughed and sniffled (I am still sick) and drew some sketches while taking a moment here and there to snap a photo. Gorgeous. It was well worth the numerous miles we probably walked to get to the site. And I must give props to Keihly -- she did the research online, and actually DID get us to the site!
Nice picks Steve. The last time I was at the Circus Maximus was way back in '97. It was Veishea, and we played a game of football (American Styley) before commencing consumption of numerous Heineken's. A grand time had by all. I miss Rome.
I hope all is well.